can I prepare?
We understand that God has gifted and graced each of us differently and that we are all at different points in the journey toward becoming more Christ-like. No two people are alike and each person's spiritual journey will be different. The same holds true for those called into cross cultural mission service. Just like there are many ways to get from point "A" to point "B" the journey to become a missionary with the Church of the Nazarene will look different for each person. There is not a set formula or time frame. Our office is here to help you along the journey. We welcome any questions you may have and look forward to hearing what God is doing in and through you.
Preparing to be a missionary is a life long process that will continue even after you are on the mission field. There are several areas where development should take place. Listed below are the core areas that a missionary candidate should be working to develop. Development in these areas can happen through college/seminary, ministry experience, work experience, cross cultural service, a coaching/mentoring relationship, books, seminars, and websites.
- A missionary candidate should demonstrate the ability to maintain healthy relationships that effectively resolve both personal and professional conflict.
- A missionary candidate will have a mature and growing relationship with Christ and should participate in personal spiritual disciplines.
A missionary candidate should have a Christ-like character in all they do and say while demonstrating an ability to effectively handle stress.
A missionary candidate needs to have an ability and willingness to study and learn other languages.
- A missionary candidate should demonstrate an ability to adapt and be culturally aware and sensitive.
A missionary candidate should exhibit a global perspective and have the ability to contextualize what they see, hear, say and do.
- A missionary candidate should understand the importance of being a catalytic leader.
- A missionary candidate should understand and be able to communicate of the foundations of the Christian faith, discipleship and evangelism; especially as this relates to other world religions.
- A missionary candidate should demonstrate an understanding and ability to live out and communicate the beliefs of the Church of the Nazarene.
We are here to help you along in the journey and welcome any questions you may have. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-577-2962.